This is the blog post describing , when one is stuck in an infinite loop while installing /uninstalling AIR. Many people have faced this issue, and because of the way AIR installation is done, if it fails then the only way is to clean uninstall and then try the installation.
So the way to uninstall is :
First Option :
1) Make a shortcut of the Adobe AIR installer executable.
2) Right-click the executable, go to properties, click on the “shortcut” tab.
3) In the “Target” field, add “-uninstall” (minus quotes) to the end of the existing text.
4) Run the file, and Adobe AIR will truly be uninstalled this time.
5) Now run the original installer file to install the program.
This usually solves the problem , and clean uninstalls. But there may be scenarios when you try this , there is another error.
Uninstalling Adobe AIR (all versions)
failed (consult log)
In this case , we need to look into certain issues :
- the proper location of the log file; [Normally this is not easily found , sigh ]
- the meaning of the error code in the log; [This is not necessarilyAIR related, but windows error code , so please read this carefully ]
- how to uninstall programs — using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility when other uninstallers fail. [including AIR itself or various AIR apps].
AIR logs [in AIR 2] are to be found at location…
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\logs\Install.log
This will give you the log and hopefully the error code [for the reason why its not uninstalling].
For example, you might see something like this ,
[2010-06-03:16:56:01] error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1612" errorID=0]
Here “1612″ is the error code for Windows , which means ,
The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it
In this case, there is no option but to clean the uninstaller as the msi used to install this software in the first place is not to be found.
So run the “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility“. It should display AIR as being installed, and let you select it for cleanup. Behind the scenes it will clean up the registry.
This will resolve the issue , and you will be able to uninstall the AIR properly and then move on installing again.
Hope this helps somebody .